Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wednesday Dinner: Garlic and Shrimp Pasta

This is one of my favorites, and something I like to order when I go out (which most times is so expensive!)

I like to keep it simple. 



You will need:

1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine
Three Generous Squirts of Olive Oil
Lemon Juice (only a few drops)
1/2 Package of Spaghetti Pasta 
2 Tablespoons Alfredo Sauce
1 Tablespoon Garlic Salt
1/2- 3/4 lb of shrimp

Pinch of:
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper
Basil
Oregano





Begin by boiling water for pasta and cooking pasta according to directions on box.




I like to add a little Olive Oil to my pasta water while it is cooking.




While pasta is cooking, prepare shrimp.

Make sure tails are completely cut off, and they are completely de-vained.

I almost always buy pre-cooked already frozen shrimp. Yes, I know that they aren't as flavorful that way, but they're cheaper, and safer.





Add Olive Oil, Butter, Garlic Salt, lemon juice, and Alfredo Sauce to skillet, heat to boiling.

Add Shrimp.




Reduce heat to medium low, cook for 10 minutes, or until shrimp has turned dark pink (you'll be able to tell the difference).




Add cooked pasta. (Do not drain pasta, simply spoon it in to skillet, the water from the undrained pasta will help with the sauce.)




Add remaining spices to pan, cook for additional 5-10 minutes, or until it smells too good to hold off any longer. It's okay to add more butter, if you feel like there's not enough coating for the pasta.




I top mine with more garlic salt, and cheese!


Cost of this meal (4 servings):

All regular prices w/o coupons:

Pasta: $0.50
Shrimp $4.50 
Butter/Olive oil/Alfredo Sauce: $0.50

Realistically, with sales and coupons this meal easily cost me under $5

The most expensive part is the shrimp, which you can use sparingly if wanted and make the dish even more affordable. 

If you're more daring, you can add mushrooms and onions to your shrimp while they're cooking.

This meal is usually best paired with some kind veggie, I prefer asparagus ($2-$4 a pound).

Happy tummy filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment