Sunday, March 13, 2011

Saturday Breakfast: Breakfast Strata

I made my first strata this weekend, and I am in love! The dish took a bit on the long side too cook, (because my oven stinks!) but it was so worth it! It turned out light and fluffy and yummy! It was super easy, and it was nice to not really have to do any prep in the morning for a nice breakfast.


Ingredients: 

8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese 
1/2 cup cooked sausage (or you can use boca bits!) -I used a package of banquet turkey links, and defrosted them prior to adding them.
1 sandwich roll (I prefer wheat)

Lightly grease pan. 


Crack eggs, and mix with milk in baking dish.



Take sandwich roll and shred in to little pieces. Add pieces to egg mixture, until they completely cover bottom of dish.


Add cheese.


Add sausage crumbles.


Cover up and place in fridge overnight (or for at least 8 hours).


Take out of fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking!

Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes with tinfoil on top.

Remove tinfoil, and add more cheese and bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes, or until dish has poofed up and cheese is golden brown.




This was especially awesome with skillet "roasted" red potatoes (should I put the recipe for this up?) and grapes.

Total servings: 4

Meal cost (without sale or coupons):

Eggs: $1.00
1 package Banquet Sausage: $1.00
Portions of milk and cheese: $2.00
Sub Bread (usually found in the bakery) $0.50 

Meal total: $4.50
(And just think about how little this meal would cost if you were to use sales/coupons!)

On a side note, I think this dish has lots of potential for different things! I am going to try adding spinach and onions next time. Any one have any good suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment